Monday, January 12, 2009
50 Secrets of the Fittest!
50 Secrets of the Fittest!
Can you keep a secret? Better yet, can you keep 50? Can you use these secrets to change your life and your body for the better? If you did nothing other than incorporate these secrets into your daily life, in a year's time they would amount to substantial change.
Here is what a fit person does:
1. Always keep a water bottle and drink from it often. Water is the drink of choice, not soft drinks.
2. Look at exercise as a pleasure and privilege -- not a burden or chore.
3. Think twice before deciding what to eat and why, making sure that it is healthy and will give the body good nutrition.
4. Measure intake based on activity, not how you "feel"; need mandates intake, not mood.
5. Take action to solve problems when things get emotional, instead of turning to food as a cure.
6. Start the day with a well-balanced meal.
7. Start each day with positive input from material that's listened to or read. This will help you to remain positive throughout the day.
8. Drink a minimum amount of caffeine only in the form of coffee or tea.
9. Make long-term goals and a plan of how to achieve them, leaving nothing to chance.
10. Focus on short-term goals with an emphasis on completing daily actions.
11. Live with a purpose. Wake up each day knowing what you are working toward: something "greater than" can be accomplished in a lifetime.
12. Keep a daily planner with the day's actions written down in order to keep track of what needs to be done, what has been done and what was not accomplished.
13. Review each day at the end of the day to set tomorrow's actions and plan.
14. Always make time for relaxing and rewards at scheduled times.
15. Never live an unhealthy life when on vacation.
16. See health as a privilege and not as something to take for granted.
17. Enjoy contributing to the health of others by having a partner or friends to exercise with, as well as recruiting others who desire to get fit.
18. Learn new ways and new techniques for exercising.
19. Avoid monotony by taking up new forms of exercising.
20. Subscribe to health magazines to keep focused on a healthy way of life.
21. Invest in workout clothes, good tennis shoes and other apparel.
22. Never take your health for granted by taking a day off from a healthy life.
23. Know when too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing.
24. Keep a sharp mind and a positive attitude with educational and motivational material.
25. Take time to count the many blessings that are present in life each day.
26. Realize that life and all things natural are a gift and should be taken care of and preserved for the health of all.
27. Brush off criticism and don't dwell on negative comments from others.
28. Attempt to bring calm and reasoning to a hostile or chaotic situation.
29. Respond to a challenge instead of reacting to what difficulties may be present.
30. Know that there is so much that is not known.
31. Understand that time is limited here on Earth.
32. Learn to live without regrets and know that life is the experiences that we choose.
33. Take daily vitamin and mineral supplements that support a healthy balance.
34. Value organization so as not to have "clutter" in your life.
35. Value good hygiene inside -- the mind and organs and muscles -- as well as on the outside: your skin, hair, and nails.
36. Seek natural methods of health care including massage, chiropractic and naturopathic in addition to medical care.
37. Take exercise to new levels.
38. Create a schedule for ultimate health and fitness.
39. Move beyond the boundaries of weight loss and into fitness.
40. Strive to reach your dreams everyday.
41. Live each day to its fullest.
42. Do not get into "wacky" diets and eating plans.
43. Live a balanced life -- exercise, work, family, and GOD.
44. Get adequate amounts of sleep.
45. Avoid medications and drugs of all sort unless absolutely necessary.
46. Limit alcohol intake only for special occasions.
47. Do what the average person doesn't want to do.
48. Exercise discipline by following a daily regimen.
49. Take a vacation by doing activities such as jet skiing, mountain biking, hiking in the outback or going to a getaway spa.
50. Know that life is fulfilling with optimal health in the mind, spirit and body!
Are any of these habits present in your life today? As you read them, did they seem too unrealistic to ever be part of your life? Trust me, in time they not only can be, they should be part of your life!
When I was more than 275 pounds, NONE of these qualities were present in my life and I would never have believed that they could be. Eight years later and 130 pounds lighter, I can assure you that each of these traits is a part of my life today. Make it fun and see how quickly you can begin to add each of these to your life. After all, what do you have to lose?