Monday, July 14, 2008
10 Reasons to Hop to It
Top 10 Reasons to Jump Rope
Do it to warm up. Do it to cool down. Or make a whole workout of it. Just do it. Martin Winkler, author of RopeSport: The Ultimate Jump Rope Workout, offers these 10 reasons to get hopping.
Jumping rope. Some of us haven't done it since schoolyard days. But here are the top 10 reasons you should jump rope like you did in third grade -- besides the fact that it will make you feel like a kid again!
Jumping rope . . .
1. Burns up to 1,000 calories per hour.
2. Tones your entire body -- arms, legs, trunk, and back.
3. Is easy to learn (master’s degree in Pilates not required).
4. Improves your game, whether you golf, swim, ski, or play tennis.
5. Is totally cheap (ropes can start at $3.99) and portable (a 4-foot by 6-foot area is all you need).
6. Looks cool . . . check out those boxers at the gym who know what they’re doing.
7. Can be a solo or group workout.
8. Is gender neutral.
9. Is family friendly. Give your kids a rope, too!
10. Can be a blast. Make up some jump rope tricks, and have fun with it.
Labels: Exercise Tips