Smartypantz, taking it one day at a time.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Wakeup Call

We took Sarah to see Over the Hedge this weekend, it was a great movie and we laughed the whole time. While we were sitting there waiting for the movie to begin I saw something that really disturbed me and brought home how my actions affect my kids. A man that I know walked into the movies with his two young sons, this man had gastric bypass last year and lost a lot of weight, to the point where he looked ill. I noticed that he has gained a significant amount of his weight back but what really disturbed me was the fact that even after all he has been through he hasn’t changed his eating habits or the eating habits of his children. Both boys were very overweight and all of them came in with ice cream, candy, pickles, popcorn and sodas, no kidding each one of them had their own ice cream, candy, pickles, popcorn and soda. It was so easy for me to see what he was doing to himself and his kids but what really got me is how this brought to light how my bad habits influence my kids, if that’s not a wakeup call I don’t know what is!

One of my biggest problems with food has always been that I think about it all the time. I wake up thinking about what I’m going to eat for breakfast and as soon as I’ve eaten breakfast I’m thinking about what I’m going to have for lunch and so on. Eating has always been a social and entertaining time, lunch is a break from work and a time to visit with friends, going out to dinner is a fun time with friends and/or family. I’ve noticed lately that Sarah has been talking about food a lot, it’s like that’s all she thinks about. Wonder where she got that? We’ve got to start turning off the TVs, computers and video games and start doing something with the kids!

I’ve always thought of eating right and getting in shape as something I needed to do for myself and it is, but even more importantly it’s something I need to do for the whole family.

Posted by smartypantz32 :: 9:47 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------

weight loss weblog

---------------oOo---------------